Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Unique Vintage's Dress of the Month Club: April


Earlier this month, Unique Vintage announced their Dress of the Month Club. I had to blink a few times to make sure I read it correctly - a Dress of the Month Club? For reals? It sounded too good to be true!

Well, my friends, it wasn't! For $50 a month (which comes to $60 a month after shipping), Unique Vintage will send you a new dress. I decided to go for it and try it out for a few months to see if I liked the dresses I received. Why not? Some of those popular subscription boxes out there cost about the same if not more!

So I signed up and waited impatiently for the first dress. It actually arrived when I was in Las Vegas (bummer!) so I had to wait to open my dress and snap some photos for the blog. But it was worth it!

Considering signing up? Here's some cool info on the subscription that convinced me. You pay $50 dollars a month but you could be getting a dress that costs much more than that normally. I like that idea. Sure, it's a gamble, but it's a fun gamble!

I have to say I am impressed already. Let's start at the beginning with the packaging. Upon opening the UV box, I found this adorable gift bag still in one piece after its journey to me from the shop:


Um, can you say absolutely adorable? I kind of felt special, as if this dress truly was picked just for me. I love the gift bag feature. It just adds a little something more to your order.


This is the pretty I received for April! It is actually one I recently saw on their Instagram feed that caught my eye. When I opened the package, I was surprised that I received this dress since it goes for $138 on the website normally. I got it for $50 - SCORE!


It's a bit fancier than what I typically wear but I immediately thought of my cousin's wedding later this year when I saw it. Now I'm set for the wedding without even trying!

The dress is goregous - the bodice's layering is so flattering and delicate. It also has padding so I don't have to worry about bra straps showing! It also has some crinoline in it so there's no need for a petticoat. It has a little oomph to it all on its own!


The sleeves are delicate and silky and can be worn as cap sleeves, strap-like sleeves, or even drape-y short sleeves! Love when a dress is versatile.


The only negative I have to report is the zipper. Why oh WHY does the clothing industry insist on using such cheap plastic zippers on such pretty dresses? It kills me! I am not even kidding when I say it took me, Cody, and a pair of pliers to get this dress on (and it took us at least 15 minutes - we refused to give up!).


The dress fits like a glove but I don't think that's the problem. The cheap zipper just can't get over the seam - as is the issue in many dresses. I didn't want to return it due to the zipper since the dress is so beautiful - here's hoping we can once again get me into it for my cousin's wedding.


One of the biggest things that lured me in was that if you don't like the dress you got, you can return it and get a credit for the next month. How cool is that? I liked that there is a return option that also helps you for the next month's dress. It means you're not stuck with something if you're not pleased (this differs from other subscriptions or mystery buys like ModCloth's Stylish Surprise).

I don't think I can continue the subscription all year round (even I wouldn't know what to do with that many new dresses!) but it will be a fun Spring as I give the club a test run! I decided to try it out until my birthday, in July, but we'll see! Perhaps I will change my mind as I get the next few month's dresses!


At this point, bad zipper aside, the fact that I can return a dress I receive if I don't like it for a credit to the next month as well as seeing that I got quite a steal in the first month makes me think I will enjoy this offer very much. This blog is about to get a lot more fun in the coming months, I can tell!

Have you signed up? What did you receive? Do you have plans to wear it soon?