Monday, July 27, 2015

Mini Key Lime Marshmallow Pies


I love key lime pie. It's one of my most favorite desserts. I have the fondest memory of being a little girl, enjoying the best slice of my life with my mom. When my sisters and I were little, we got to pick where we wanted to go for our birthdays. It could be a movie, bowling, lunch, shopping - you name it!

I don't remember how old I was, but one year, I picked the Worcester Art Museum. I must have been 7 or 8 - that was when I was really into drawing and started taking art classes. Somehow it ended up being just my mom and I (perhaps I was the only one interested in walking around an art museum by choice) and it was such a great day.

The best part of the day was visiting the museum's cafe - and honestly, it's the only part of the day I remember! I felt so grown up and special sitting in the small cafe (well, it seemed small then! Not sure if it really is as glamorous and small in real life) with my mom - just us girls! I got to have whatever I wanted and I decided to be adventurous and order a slice of key lime pie.


I had never had key lime pie before but I knew I liked lime flavored tootsie rolls and gummy bears so it was bound to be just as good, right?


I was so wrong - it was a billion times BETTER!!



The slice I shared with my mom at the museum that day is still my absolute favorite slice I ever had - perhaps because it was my first or because it was a special treat for just my mom and me.Or maybe the Worcester Art Museum just knows how to make a dang good key lime pie!


So when I saw these key lime Campfire Mallow Bursts marshmallows at the store, I didn't hesitate before picking up a bag. I intended to just devour the entire bag myself but after eating just one, I knew I had to make something with them. The marshmallows just packed such a strong key lime flavor punch. How could I not?The one thing missing from these super key lime-y marshmallows? A lovely graham cracker crust!


I knew what I had to do.


Each marshmallow fits perfectly inside the mini crusts (if you use a mini muffin pan like I did). With just a little dollop of melted white chocolate beneath the marshmallow and the crust and a few minutes in the stove to toast the tops, these tiny pies came together in no time at all!


My co-workers ate them up when I brought them in on a gloomy Monday. The white chocolate compliments the tang of the key lime and the graham cracker crust just brings it all together. They're the perfect two bite snack to satisfy your sweet tooth. They're also a great size for parties!


Campfire has a couple other special flavors out this summer - including lemon meringue! I didn't spot the lemon meringue at my store but I know those would also be amazing in these itty bitty crusts.

The hunt is definitely on to track those down next!



Mini Key Lime Marshmallow Pies

Ingredients
  • 1 cup graham cracker crumbs
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 5 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup white chocolate chips, melted
  • 12 Campfire key lime Mallow Bursts marshmallows
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and generously grease a mini muffin pan.
  2. In a medium sized bowl, combine graham cracker crusts with sugar and butter.
  3. Press 1-2 tablespoons of the graham cracker mixture into each muffin section (making them as thin or thick as you like).
  4. Bake crusts for 8-10 minutes or until edges are just turning brown.
  5. With the end of a wooden spoon, carefully press down middles to give the crusts a cup like shape.
  6. Cool completely then remove from tray (a cool trick is to turn the muffin pan over onto a cookie sheet and give it a few bangs on the bottom).
  7. Line up mini graham cracker cups evenly on an un-greased cookie sheet.
  8. Drop a dollop of melted white chocolate into each cup (just enough to sit on the bottom of each crust).
  9. Press one marshmallow upright into each cup on top of the white chocolate.
  10. Place into oven and bake for 3-4 minutes or until tops of the marshmallows are toasted to your liking.