Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Crab Rangoon Cupcakes


I'm sure you've heard already, but as you are reading this, I am on my way to Amsterdam! Woah! I haven't traveled for a show since spring (remember my crazy back to back trips of Dubai and Vegas x2?) and it has been a nice little break but now I am so excited to be traveling once more!

My co-worker Jenn (who I jokingly call Mom while in the office) is with me on this one and we will be in Amsterdam from now until September 17th! The trade show we're participating in will take place from September 11 - 15 and then I am very excited to have a day or so to see the city as well as meet a very close friend of mine who lives in Germany.

But more on that later! I plan to post all about Amsterdam upon my return. Before that, though, we celebrated Labor Day with my family back home last weekend. Labor Day isn't a big deal generally but my dad has been a big fan of the big summer holidays lately. Memorial Day, 4th of July, and Labor Day have become his favorite holidays and I really don't know why!

Whatever the reason, it is just a known fact that we are all expected to head over to my parents' house for the day. He breaks out the margarita maker we got him for Father's day a couple years ago and grills all kinds of yummy treats. Cody goes for the bottomless margaritas and I go to catch up my two sisters, Mom, and grandmother. You can see where our priorities lie, no?

I tend to bring dessert (and get teased endlessly because there's a piece that has been cut out and then put back - the first world problems of a food blogger) but this time, I wanted to try my hand at an appetizer that my sister gets all the credit for - she calls them Crab Rangoon Mini Quiches but I've renamed them Crab Rangoon Cupcakes. Who doesn't love a cupcake?


My younger sister, Emma, shares my love for the kitchen. She has made these Crab Rangoon masterpieces a few times now and I finally demanded I get a copy of the recipe so I could make them for the blog.


I figured, why not make them for Labor Day? So I did! They're not as scrumptious as when she makes them - what is with that?? - but that didn't stop me from eating more of them than I should have.


The Pillsbury crescent roll dough crust not only makes these little treats flaky, buttery, and super delicious (I swear crescent rolls would make dirt taste good), but they make them so easy to put together! I love foods that are both delicious and convenient!


The filling is so rich and creamy and full of the crab and cream cheese flavor you only get from a crispy Crab Rangoon. If you're as crazy of a fan for those yummy filled wantons when you order takeout like we are, you have got to try this cupcake version!



Crab Rangoon Cupcakes

Ingredients
  • 1 cup mayonaise
  • 2 8oz cream cheese, room temperature
  • 1 14 oz package crab meat, chopped (I used artificial)
  • 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
  • 1/2 cup artichoke hearts, chopped
  • 1/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
  • 3 containers crescent rolls (8 rolls per roll)
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a mixing bowl, blend together the cream cheese and mayonnaise until smooth.
  3. Add in crab meat, onion, artichoke hearts, and parmesan cheese and mix until combined.
  4. Spray cupcake pans with cooking spray.
  5. Press a crescent roll triangle into each cupcake cup to form a crust, pressing dough up onto the sides.
  6. Fill each cup with a large spoonful of crab rangoon filling.
  7. Bake in oven for 15-18 minutes or until dough is golden brown and flaky.