Thursday, August 27, 2015

Fresh Mango Salsa


I have to give all credit to Shawn over at I Wash...You Dry for this recipe and post. She provided dinner for Cody and I a couple months or so back (not literally, though how fun would that have been?) and when we were finished chowing down on her recipe for Mango Margarita Chicken, I knew I needed to make a super big batch of the salsa for our next party.

And so I did!

The salsa was SO good on top of grilled chicken and I wanted MORE! I knew I'd inhale it minus the chicken and I knew my friends would, too.



We had one of our typical summer BBQs recently and I immediately brought up Shawn's chicken recipe and re-worked the mango salsa a bit to provide for a party.


Now, my adaptation certainly makes enough for a party. How big that party is for you, I'm not judging. If it's a cookout for 20 or a party of just 1 or 2, the bowl will probably be emptied by night's end.

Just warning ya. It's only polite.


Below I list 3 mangos. Using all 3 mangos will lead to a mango heavy salsa - which I liked. I'm a big fan of fruity salsas. If you're not a fan of extra mango, I'd say you'd be good with 2 and 1/2 mangos. I just added them one at a time until the ratio was perfect for me.


In the end, this salsa is sweet and tangy with just a smidgen of spice from the dice jalapeƱo. Basically perfect for any summer party where the weather is hot and sticky, you've got a freezing cold drink in one hand and sunglasses over your eyes. Great, you've got a free hand to dive right into this salsa!



Fresh Mango Salsa
Adapted from I Wash...You Dry

Ingredients
  • 3 large mangos, diced
  • 3 roma tomatoes, diced
  • 1 medium sized red onion, diced
  • 1 jalapeno, diced
  • Juice of 1 lime
  • 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro (or more, depending how much cilantro you like!)
  • Sprinkle of salt and pepper, to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  1. Combine diced mangos, tomatoes, onion, and jalapeno in a medium sized bowl.
  2. Squeeze in your lime juice.
  3. Stir in cilantro, adding more if desired.
  4. Add in your garlic powder, then salt and pepper to taste. 
  5. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours so flavors marinate - the longer this chills, the better it tastes!