Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Unique Vintage's Dress of the Month Club: August


"You're turning violet, Violet!"

I decided to be a bit monochromatic for this post - and by a bit, I mean a lot. Notice anything different about me? I went violet!



To be honest, my hair color did not change just for this dress. I had actually just come home from buying the new hair color when I spotted August's Dress of the Month sitting outside my door. When I opened it up and saw this lovely eggplant number, I knew I had to wait to photograph it until my hair was done. It was a match made in dress heaven!


August's Dress of the Month Club dress is beautiful. I think thos is my favorite one out of all of them. I put it on and had a "va va voom!" moment in the mirror because, hello, flattering style on my figure! I am so in love with the neckline, the semi sheer-ness of the top, and the gathered waistline. So lovely!


I purpled it up to the max with a pair of purple flats, my new vintage Iris brooch, and, of course, my freshly dyed hair. I jumped for joy when I noticed the dress matches my great grandmother's clutch that I received when my Bubbie moved earlier this year.


I even made sure my petticoat matched. If you're gonna go big, go BIG - right?


This is my last Dress of the Month Club dress. I told myself back in April that I'd only do it for a few months and here we are, 5 months later! It was fun to participate in this Spring and I definitely enjoyed the excitement of opening up a mystery box every month.


I have to say, though, there were some aspects I wasn't happy about. I am a very colorful gal and I adore prints. Out of my 5 dresses, 3 were solid color dresses and all 3 of those were DARK (1 was black, 1 was navy, and 1 was eggplant). Kind of a bummer.


Also, Unique Vintage has GOT to improve their zipper quality. 2 of my dresses - also my 2 favorites - have the WORST zippers on them. April's dress required Cody using a pair of vice grips to zip it up (and not, it wasn't too small, I promise!). That was frustrating but oh well.


The same thing happened with this beautiful violet dress. I knew I'd need his help zipping because the dress has boning and not much stretch so I knew it'd be a squeeze. We actually zipped it up without too much trouble (though he did use his vice grip to be sure) and the dress didn't squeeze me too bad. I wore it, I posed, I photographed it, and then I had to ruin it.


Yes, you read that right. Cody couldn't get me out of it! The cheap zipper kept getting stuck. It wasn't snagged on the material, it just wouldn't budge when it hit a certain point. AT ALL. After struggling endlessly and just making it worse, I started to get anxious so I told him to just get it off.


He had to break the zipper.


COME ON!


I'm going to take it to my local tailors and hope they can replace it with a better quality zipper. If not, I hope UV will take this one back. It breaks my heart - especially since I felt SO GOOD in it and would love to wear it to my cousin's wedding coming up (I think I might have dubbed April's dress as my dress for the wedding but I've changed my mind - this is it!).


I was invited to a Facebook group for the Dress of the Month Club and it's been nice to see others' thoughts and feelings on it. I will definitely keep my eye on the group to see if anything improves or any beauties are sent out in future months.


Have you received a Dress of the Month Club dress lately? What have your zipping experiences been?